Happy ALMOST Friday!! We have a few more days left in us before the summer is officially over so I wanted to post this summery cold quinoa salad totally inspired by Whole Foods ! It’s hearty, healthy and it completely delicious.
Last week my mom and I went shopping at Whole Foods (I don’t go there much because there isn’t one close to me – closest one is probably about 20 minutes away – not too far but definitely not right down the road). Anyway we went in to get literally just one thing (which was spiked seltzers.. Which are also the most amazing thing in the world & think I’m going to do a post about them just because I love them that much) and of course we wound up being in there for about an hour mesmerized by all the deliciousness.
If you know me then you know that I live for food (pretty sad, I know) but I just love to eat amazing tasting food. Whenever I’m out at a restaurant or getting takeout it literally takes me about 30 minutes to decide what I want, not even exaggerating . Meanwhile my mom is like, “oh it’s only a meal.” But boy does she got that wrong. IF IT DOESNT TASTE GOOD, why eat it, right!? That’s my thought process.
And eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring or blah in anyway! It’s definitely hard in the beginning when your transitioning into a healthy lifestyle to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t, but there are so many amazing healthy recipes out there you just need to do some research.
Anyway back to my Whole Foods story (yes I tend to be scatterbrained sometimes, so I apologize in advance). We came across this salad in the hot food bar section, well in this case the cold food section.. And immediately a caught my eye. I filled up a nice big container and of course ate it in the car because I couldn’t wait until I got home! I really wanted to recreate this dish so that I could enjoy it without having to head over to Whole Foods (although I’m going to have to make a trip back there sometime soon)!
I really hope you guys try this out because it’s too good to pass up; if you do try it comment below and let me know what you think !
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Tablespoons honey, divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- Minced ½ serrano pepper, very finely chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely copped fresh mint
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Rinse quinoa several times
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil and simmer 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons honey, garlic and peppers in a small bowl
- When quinoa is cooked, stir in honey mixture.
- Add dried cranberries with remaining 2 tablespoons honey and lime juice in food processor or blender
- Stir this into quinoa
- Add mint, cilantro, red onion and salt
- Toss to combine and chill until ready to serve.