I made this for dinner one night during the week as a quick and easy meal, which is something that I have been gravitating to a lot more recently! I LOVE easy, delicious meals because I am constantly non-stop running around! I also feel like I have been eating less meat lately, so have been making more dishes with either less or no meat in them. This dish is not dairy free (clearly there is a load of cheese in it lol but I am sure you can use dairy free cheese and instead of milk, use another dairy free substitute- not too sure how it would taste though).
If you are looking for either a quick meal or an extra dish / side dish for Christmas eve or Christmas Eve Day, this is a good one that not many people think of! I apologize for not taking step-by-step photos – The lighting in my kitchen right now is not great and doesn’t make for the best food pictures (I did my best)!
**Also, you will notice in my recipes I always use whole wheat products. That is my preference, but you can use regular pasta or breadcrumbs as well!
- 1 (8-ounce) package whole wheat rotini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whol wheat breadcrumbs
*You can also substitute the olive oil with butter, it would probably taste better but I used olive oil to reduce the fat and cholesterol intake*
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and garlic and cook until the garlic is golden brown.
3. Add the onion powder, then whisk in the flour and milk, then cook until slightly thickened.
4. Add three cups of the cheddar cheese and stir until melted in the mixture.
5. Toss the cheese mixture with the cooked pasta, salt and pepper to taste. Stir the remaining grated cheese into the pasta.
6. Spoon into a large baking dish and top with breadcrumbs.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown!
**BAB (by the way this is short for the name of my blog, “beYOUtiful and beyond” TIP: You can also add grilled chicken or ground beef on top for an even heartier meal!
SHOP THE POST: