If you know me, you know I can’t go a day without my Starbucks. Without it, I am cranky, irritable and sad (yes, I know, I have problems).
With a take-away coffee averaging out at $3.00 and a number of office workers having at least a one-a-day habit, the costs of coffee consumption will continue to rise. In fact, if I calculate the cost of one coffee per day, that’s $21 a week, $84 a month and $1,008 a YEAR!!! Do you know what I can do with $1,008 a year? I can go on a 4 day all inclusive vacation or put that towards a larger vacation. When I thought about this, I was like “dam, I need to stop taking this daily S-bux trip.” But how could I do so when I feel that I can’t go without my daily fix?
There are some easy ways to start your saving fund by cutting down caffeine consumption or seeking out budget alternatives:
- Invest in a travel mug and prepare your coffee before leaving home. (I will make a pot of coffee the night before and put it in a glass container and pop it in the fridge. I only drink iced coffee and this is the best way to keep the rich flavor without it being watered down.
- Many offices provide free drinks to staff, so learn to enjoy the taste of that bland machine stuff. Some also have facilities where you could easily brew your own.
- Arrange lots of unnecessary meetings at work where coffee is provided for clients (of course dependent on your line of work).
- If you really can’t go without your daily Starbucks fix, consider buying a re-usable cup. You will save a small amount on every store bought coffee.
- Take the $3 you would have spent every day and put it in a jar! You will be so happy when you visually see how much you are saving!
I hope this helped but over anything else …